The Egli House
The windmill is still, the windows covered, and looking like a scene the Wizard of Oz, the Egli House (circa 1920) is the last farmhouse still standing on the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge.
Grottfreb and Rose Egli were one of the original 200 homesteaders in the area who were involuntarily relocated to build the U.S. Army Rocky Mountain Arsenal. The Egli's owned one of the largest plots of land in the area. The house later served as the quarters for the Deputy Commander of the Arsenal. The original house was made of brick, but later covered with stucco when it belonged to the Army.
About a mile over the horizon from this view was the location of the South Plant section of the Arsenal. Built in 1942, the South Plant produced chemical weapons in response to WWII.
Rocky Mountain ArsenalEgliHousecooper_garygtkuper